Earth to hair and back – Earth Day 2021
THE HISTORY OF EARTH DAY
It all started back in 1970 – when a Junior US Senator named Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin had enough of the growing concerns over reckless oil spills, the deteriorating environment, toxic dumps, pesticides, water and air pollution. The newly named ‘Earth Day’ attracted national media attention across the United States, and on April the 22nd, approximately 20 million Americans (10% of the total population at the time) took to the streets, parks and auditoriums to demonstrate against the 150 years of harmful and hazardous industrial development.
“Earth Day 1970 gave a voice to an emerging public consciousness about the state of our planet” — www.earthday.org
In 1990, Earth Day went global and by 1992, the movement paved way for the United Nations Earth Summit. Over the next decades, Earth Day has brought millions of people into the environmental movement, creating opportunities for community engagement and volunteerism in 193 countries.
What is Earth Day in 2021
2021 Celebrates 51 years of Earth Day.
Earth day is now recognised by over 1 billion individuals worldwide who fight for a clean environment, as the urgency to reverse climate change become clearer every day. This year, the topics, workshops, panel discussions, and special performances will focus on Restore Our Earth™ – the official theme for the 2021 Earth Day. They will cover natural processes, emerging green technologies, and innovative thinking that can restore the world’s ecosystems. More topics will include: Climate and environmental literacy, Climate restoration technologies, Reforestation efforts, Regenerative agriculture, Equity and environmental justice, Citizen science, Clean-ups, and more.
WE SUPPORT EARTH DAY EVERY DAY
- Our products are certified organic by Soil Association, the UK’s largest organic certification body, meaning at no point was synthetics fertilisers, genetically modified (GM) ingredients and herbicides involved in the making of Tabitha James Kraan Haircare.
- We recycle our bottles, jars and pumps with TerraCycle.
- We promote purchasing our refills rather than purchasing new.
- We are working to reduce plastics in our packaging by offering recyclable aluminium screw top caps.
- Our compact dry shampoos are aerosol free & can easily be refilled.
- We use natural hair dyes in the Tabitha James Kraan Salon.
- Our formulations are Vegan, Cruelty Free and scented with natural essential oils.
- Tabitha James Kraan ships to you with no plastic packing materials.
How YOU can participate in Earth Day:
- You can support Earth day too by joining a local beach or park clean-up. Find an Earth Day event near you by visiting Earth Day Events Page here
- Try cooking a healthy plant based or vegetarian dinner.
- Get inspired by watching a nature documentary such as ‘Planet Earth’, ‘Blue Planet’ or ‘Seaspiracy’.
- Make Sustainable swaps in your home, from kitchen to bathroom and beyond.
- Volunteer with a conservation organisation in your local area.
- Reduce single use plastics in your day-to-day.
- Shop local & in season.
EARTH TO HAIR
It is essential that what we grow, consume and eventually discard is not harmful to our earth and her inhabitants which is why we are so confident that our products meet this standard that we have obtained Organic certifications by some of the most rigorous certifying bodies in the industry. Even natural products can leave you with chemicals in your system, if the ingredients have been grown using toxic pesticides and manufactured using toxic processes. Organic doesn’t just mean natural, it actually indicates a very particular type of natural that is grown in the very best way, free from toxins every step of the way.
HAIR TO EARTH
Everything we eat, drink, consume or apply to our bodies are directly absorbed into our systems – this is a known fact, but we don’t think of the by-products that are then rinsed away down our waterways back into the soil or eventually into our ocean. When you wash products made using pesticides, detergents, GMOs and solvents down the drain, they end up in the sea, in our lakes, rivers and streams and absorbed into soil on the land too. These chemicals then seriously affect the health of marine life and other wildlife in the surrounding areas and in turn, our lives as well.
£22.00 — or subscribe and save up to 25%
£22.00 — or subscribe and save up to 25%